James is a Partner with considerable experience in a wide range of commercial litigation areas including employment, strata, insurance, insolvency, construction, probate and shareholder disputes.
Before joining KSG, James practised as a barrister in his native Northern Ireland and then was a partner at another firm in the Cayman Islands where he worked for the last 10 years.
In his time in the Cayman Islands James has attracted a large and loyal client base of both private and corporate clients who value his responsiveness, pragmatism and willingness to fight their cause.
He has appeared as Lead Counsel in all Courts of the Cayman Islands including the Court of Appeal and has appeared as advocate or has been supervising partner in a number of notable cases in the Cayman Islands.
- Chin v Yates [2014 (2) CILR 196] - Personal Injury claim acting for plaintiff with award of $1,528,302.34 (varied down to $1,244,110.76 on appeal).
- Scott and Ebanks v. Rankin [2012 (2) CILR 385] – equitable estoppel and overriding interests under registered land law.
- Final Touch Limited v. Labour Appeals Tribunal and Wilkins [2009 CILR note 8] – employment tribunal appeals – representing Applicant from Labour Tribunal through to Grand Court appeal.
- K Coast Development Limited v. Proprietors, Strata Plan No. 55 – construction dispute acting for Strata against contractor post-Ivan. Arbitration over $9M contract.
- Cayman Realty Consultants v. Simba & Boggy Sand Road Land Company CICA 8/2013 – Real Estate dispute.
- Construction & Supply Limited v. C. Bodden and F. Bodden [2012 (2) CILR note 8] -construction dispute with quantum meruit issue.